Random Acts of Kindness Day is nestled amid the cold and gray days of winter, when we may be tempted to hide inside until the spring thaw. February 17th marks this annual celebration of kindness, generosity, and compassion, and affords us the perfect opportunity to reach out beyond ourselves and find ways to add a little sunshine to people’s lives. At Robertson’s Flowers, we are privileged to witness kindness one bouquet at a time, all year round – and we would love to assist you in spreading joy across Philadelphia.
There is some discrepancy as to how this annual event began, although a young man in New Zealand is most commonly cited as being the mind behind the kindness. In a world too often consumed with self-interest, the idea began to spread like wildfire and is now a bit of a cultural phenomenon. Although we certainly advocate a lifestyle of good deeds, the thought of millions of people unleashing goodwill on the same day is a great one! So how can you add to the flood of kindness?
* Send flowers to someone who influenced you growing up. Tell them how fondly you remember them.
* Fill the company breakroom with fresh, homemade baked goods.
* Give an extravagant tip to the friendly waitress who is always smiling.
* Get a bouquet of loose flowers, and hand single blooms out to random people throughout the day.
* Send a few pizzas to the local firehouse, or maybe a nurse’s station at the hospital.
* Bring dinner to an elderly neighbor, and sit and share the meal with them.
The ways to show kindness are limitless, but they all have one thing in common. Science has proven that the person doing the giving receives just as much joy as the recipient – so get out there, and be generous! Imagine the impact on the world if everyone did the same.
Random Acts of Kindness Day is February 17th. Call Robertson’s Flowers for beautiful floral designs that will make a dramatic impression, on this day and every day.